Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Professional Hopes and Goals


          One hope that I have when I think about working with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds is to make certain that I make them feel comfortable  in every way.  I will make certain that I plan my activities in my classroom to meet the needs of all of my students.  I will make sure that my classroom displays diverse families' cultures as well as non diverse families.  I will create partnerships with my diverse families so that I can learn more about their cultures and their goals for their children.
            The one goal that I would like to set for the early childhood field related to issues of diversity, equity, and social justice is to incorporate workshops that brings awareness on equity, diversity, and social justice in my school that will branch out to surrounding school districts.  I would like to use these workshops to teach parents and other educators how to advocate for equity and social justice.  These workshops will also be a learning tool of how to better serve our diverse students and their families. 

            I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank all of my colleagues for your helpful discussions and blogs throughout this eight week course.  I have learned a variety of new things that will assist me in meeting the needs of all of my students.  I sincerely hope that you have learned the importance of social justice, diversity, and equity.  As educators remember that we can make a difference in the lives of the students that we come in contact with.  Good luck on all of your future endeavors.  I would also like to thank Dr. Davenna Williams for her support, feedback, and professionalism.  It is because of instructors like you that Walden University has such a great early childhood program.

 

4 comments:

  1. Kiara,

    I agree, there is need for training in the area of diversity and social justice, and as you state not only for teachers but families as well. A better informed community can make a change.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kiara,

    I enjoyed reading your post. You have a great goal for your school, making workshops available to those working with children in order to teach about diversity, equity and social justice. It is truly helpful to have those learning tools to better serve our children. I appreciate your insightful posts, and I wish you the best in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aloha Kiara,

    I had similar views on goals regarding the need to educate parents and fellow colleagues. I have learned that there is so much more that I didn't know that have helped me professionally and personally from building a stronger awareness and understanding the issues of diversity, equity, and social justice for children and their families. Thank you for all your posts. I have enjoyed reading and receiving feedback as well. I wish you the best as you pursue your professional goals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kiara,
    Your workshop sounds like a great idea and really hope that your goal is met. I really feel that its not just important for the children to know different cultures but also for the parents. Currently, parents are on the go. They have work, school, other children to tend too.However, this workshop can be time set apart for them to sit and learn. Parents of different cultures can raise questions which allows everyone to become familiar with one another.I love reading your post and best of luck in the future.....

    ReplyDelete