Saturday, February 1, 2014

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions

         I experienced racial micro aggression from another time in my life even though the act was not directed toward me.    I was in a store that was owned by a Chinese Family.  I didn't go to the store often but whenever my mother wanted to make a club sandwich she would send me to get cold cuts from the Chinese store.  This particular day I was at the counter being checked out and a young black man entered the store.  He stood to the side and just looked.  The Chinese man stopped ringing my cold cuts up and starting talking to the young man.  You don't want anything get out of my store.  You people always want something for nothing.  I was so shocked at what I had heard.  It was an insult to me but I did not respond negatively because my mother had taught me how to react to certain situations when I was five years old.
            In my mind I knew that I would not be visiting his store again because I too am African American.  After I existed the store the young man asked me what was wrong and had he done anything to justify what had occurred at the store with him.  He stated I only wanted to get a pack of cigarettes which was behind the counter where he was.  My thought was that he assumed that all young black men would harm or rob him.   I could not believe that he used racial micro aggression because most of the immigrants that come to the United States are not always respected and accepted. 

            My Observational experiences this week has affected my perception of the effects of discrimination, prejudice, and/or stereotypes on people.   I have learned that there are a great deal of people in the world that are still discriminated against every day.  I have also learned that stereotyping and insulting others can cause severe stress and harm to them, and last I have learned that what we say and how we speak to others can affect them negatively.  As educators we must choose a positive way to speak to others because this is how we expect others to speak to us.   Although we all often state  that our society is getting better with micro aggression others still experience discrimination, prejudice, and/or stereotyping of some sort.

           

3 comments:

  1. Wow! If I were the young man who walked into the store I would have started a fight. That was extremely unnecessary for the cashier to speak to him like that. It is true that microaggressions happen all the time and can severely hurt people. I wonder if the cashier knew how much he probably hurt the young man with his words... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experience. There was no reason to say that! It shows how microaggression is intentional and hurtful to the core.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiara,
    I see this all the time and its just so sad. Some immigrants in this situation are so afraid and paranoid that they just assume while other immigrants are just ignorant. This type of situation gives me two different opinions. First and foremost I totally agree with you that not all young black men are robbers. In the society we live in today one young black man that consistently keep robbing stores leaves an impression that all young black men are robbers. If that store has been robbed multiple of times the radar of any clerk would be high. Should everyone be placed in the same categories as criminals? Absolutely NOT! However, that is whats happening which causes things similar to this situation to occur. My second opinion is assumptions always make people look stupid in the end. That young man didn't make any gestures that he was a criminal, he didn't rush the clerk, he wasn't even rude. He kindly just stood there waiting his turn. Regardless race or gender I'm sure as Chinese immigrant they don't like when people mistreat them for not speaking proper English. Again, in the society that we live in people place of business grow by word of mouth. If that young man had started telling people how he was treated people in the community would go to a different store. People need to be mindful of what they say and who they say it too. Thank you for sharing....

    ReplyDelete