Friday, March 15, 2013

Blog Assignment: Personalize Your Blog

The Title of the childhood book that I love and I must admit it is my favorite is The Little Red Engine That Could.  I love this book so much because the characters in the story are all motivators for the train.  His friends motivated him when he thought he could'nt carry the load over the hill.  It was so much fun to hear my mom say I think I can, I think I can.  This book can be a good example for us as Teachers.  We must be good motivators and we must develop good motivating techniques to help our children see that they can do things that they think are imposible. 


A very important quote about children that was taught to me at an early age is from the King James Bible Proverbs 22:6 which reads Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it.  This statement is so true.  It takes love, dedication, disipline, and time to correctly train children.  It is the parents responsibility to start their children off on a good path before the teachers are involved in their lives.  One can tell if the parents have set the pace at home at an early age.  The child will be more attentive, more loving, and very respectful to others in authority and last they will be smart and eager to learn more.


My story is true.  This child lives in my neighborhood and I am so glad that my mother loves and cares about children in general.  This child come from a household where there is a lot of profanity, fighting, no values when it comes to education, no good work ethics, and no love shown.  My mother has taken it on herself to help because the child does not desire to be in this situation.  He told my mother that he wanted to finish school and get a job.  She has since took out the time with him to explain morals, values, and making him aware that he can be the first in the family to graduate from high school.  She is a constant motivator to him and every chance she gets she reminds him that he can beat the odds that he is up against.  She does all of this out of love.  To make a long story short this child is overcoming the odds because he has my mother as a motivator, a mentor, and as a friend.  As educators we will be faced with similar situations and if we care about our children in our class we may have to step out of our comfort zone and do what my mother is doing.  The behavior problems that the child has is so much better and his grades are coming up.  Cudos to my mother and she is not an educator.  But I one day will be and I am getting a lot of hands on experience early on from these type situations.

3 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed that story about your mom being mentor to that child...the world needs more people who can reach out to children, lots of children need guidance and sometimes they can't get it from home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Julie. I am so grateful that I had love, discipline, and guidance in my home and I am making every effort to understand the different needs of children of all backgrounds. I am sure it will pay off in the long run for me. Thanks for your response.

      Delete
  2. I also believe so much in your 'most favourite quote'. It's the way we bring up children that they would turn out to be. I like your blog, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete