Sunday, June 1, 2014

Who Am I as A Communicator


           As I wrapped up this week's assignment for my blog post I believe that constantly assessing my competence level for strengths and weaknesses is very important steps (O'Hair & Wiemann, 2012).   According to the authors there are three ways to evaluate your expectations, executions, and outcomes.  These three ways are through self-actualization, self-adequacy, and self-denigration.  In my assessment I have found that I am an effective communicator but not a 100% communicator.  I can always tell when self-actualization has taken place when I am communicating.  The feeling of fulfillment comes over me and this makes me feel great.

            There are also times when I know that I have not communicated my best and what I have learned from this week's lesson is that in these situations I am feeling a sense of self-adequacy when I have not communicated my best with others (O'Hair & Wiemann, 2012).  The one thing that has surprised me the most about how I have assessed myself as opposed to how others assessed me is that they feel that I am a great and effective communicator.  They replied that I paid full attention to them as we communicated and that they could see me giving thought to what was asked before I answered back.  This surprised me because I know that I am a great and effective communicator but I also know that there is room for improvement.  The other two that assessed me led me to believe that I did not need improvement. 

            I believe that self-adequacy and self-efficacy are two insights that I have learned this week that may inform my professional work and my personal life.  Knowing that I may not always give a stellar performance when I communicate to others helps me with self-improvement (O'Hair & Wiemann, 2012) which will always help me in my professional work and in my personal life.

References

O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M.O. (2012).  Real communication:  An introduction. Boston: Bedford/St. Martin's.

No comments:

Post a Comment