Saturday, November 16, 2013

Research that Benefits Children and Families - Uplifting Stories


          I have chosen to explore Option 2.  If I could choose any subject to research my topic of interest would be childhood diabetes.  The reason that I am choosing this topic is because my mother is a diabetic.  I am interested in finding out all that I can about diabetes because I have heard that diabetes can be genetic.    If it is genetic I would like to make certain that my brother who is seven years old is tested early on. 
            Since my research will not be restricted to certain rules and limitations I know that I will be able to come up with some great results.  My participants will be children who are from families that have diabetes.  This will assist me in figuring out whether diabetes is passed down from family members.  I will observe the diets of the participants and review medical records of family members of the participants.  This will give me some information on the risk that is involved in the children developing diabetes.  This study will be a long process because most diabetics’ are diagnosed because they have not eaten properly over a long period of time. 

            This research will make a positive contribution to the children and their families by determining whether diabetes is genetic or not.  If families know that diabetes is genetic they can then start to monitor what their children are eating and change their diets to assist them in a healthy way of eating.  This will be a positive outcome because we will all have healthier children because the awareness of childhood diabetes is now known.  Awareness is very important in childhood diabetes.  Research is very important and if it were not for research and researchers we would not know a lot the concepts, theories, and behaviors that are tied to Early Childhood Education.  As a researcher I will maintain professionalism and I will make certain that all of my participants are treated fairly.  I will not treat my participants as objects rather than subjects (Mac Naughton, Rolfe, & Siraj-Blatchford, 2010).
Reference
Mac Naughton, G., Rolfe, S.A., & Siraj-Blatchford, I. (2010).  Doing early childhood research
          International perspectives on theory and practice (2nd ed.).  New York, NY:  McGraw-Hill.
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Kiara,
    Early detection is important in developing a care plan for many genetic diseases. Learning what precautions to take, diet and exercise are important aspects of maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiara,
    This is so inspiring. You really show deep passion for this topic, espeicially with someone close to you being affected by it. In today's society, more and more children and adults are being affected by diabetes. Great topic!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great topic. Even though researchers have been studying Diabetes for a while now, there are still so many unknowns with this disease. We know that Type 2 Diabetes can sometimes be prevented just by making some lifestyle changes. But since Type 1 Diabetes can't be prevented, more research is needed to help children and their families.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kiara,
    As I was reading your post all I could think of was I wish this was real. You show great passion for this topic and its your desire to help your family. My father (may he continue to rest in heaven) was a diabetic. As a younger child I use to see him poke his finger like it was nothing. While he had to do this two or three times a day I always felt sad that he had to experience those little pokes. I feel your research would be great and that many people would be aware of the information as well as the risk. Thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete