Friday, September 6, 2013

Establishing Professional Contacts and Expanding Resources in the Early Childhood Field

    
Establishing Professional Contacts

I am excited as I attempt to contact my two people from other countries that work as educators, administrators, or even on the government level who are interested in Early Childhood Education.  I have e-mailed to South Africa at cecd@iafrica.com and Armenia at ruzanna@sbsbf.am .  In my e-mail I explained that I am a graduate student at Walden University and that I am studying Early Childhood Education.  I explained that my assignment throughout the course I am taking which is Issues and Trends in Early Childhood Education requires me to stay in contact with two people in other countries in order to gain new perspectives of different issues as they relate to people around the world.  I asked them to participate in this assignment with me so that I could compare our issues and trends in the United States with those of South Africa.  I have not received any correspondence back but I am certainly hopeful that the professionals will respond back to me in a professional manner.  If I do not receive responses within the next week I will chose the alternate and contact the World Forum.

Expanding Resources

In choosing my Early Childhood website I randomly typed in the e-mail addresses to see how appealing the sites would look.  The most appealing site to me was the Harlem Children’s Zone.  This is the website that I will follow throughout this course.  I have signed up for the newsletter and I am awaiting confirmation of my registration.  I have already looked at some of the positive ground-breaking efforts that have been made at the Harlem Children’s Zone.  They have what has been named Baby College parenting workshops, the Harlem Gems which is their pre-school program, and I also read about an obesity program that they have to help children to stay healthy.  The website address for the Harlem Children’s Zone is http://www.hcz.org/ .
I look forward to bringing you, my colleagues updates on how this organization supports their Early

Childhood community and what resources it has to offer.

4 comments:

  1. Kiara,
    The Harlem Children's Zone looks interesting! - Especially the Baby College part....that will be exciting to learn about. I picked Canadian Early Childhood. I look forward to learning of this program you picked!- Selena Harris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiara,

    The Harlem Children's Zone sounds great already and I only know the information you shared. I particularly like the obesity program. I feel there should be a lot more programs about obesity because I see it a lot in children. It is important for children to be healthy and for parents to know how they can keep their children healthy. I'm excited to see what else you share. ~Lynette Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kiara,

    I think that many of our classmates are in a similar situation where we emailed and attempted to contact various people and organizations in search of an early childhood professional to communicate with, but haven't heard from yet. Don't lose hope! Also, the Harlem Children's Zone seems like a great resource and an interesting organization to learn about!

    -Krissy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kiara-
    I look forward to seeing how your contacts feel about the issues we are dealing with here in the USA. It is so interesting to see how people around the world feel about different issues, and even to see what they feel is important, and what they don't. I am also interested in the Harlem website you are going to study. It seems like a great organization.

    ReplyDelete